1 an aggressive remark directed at a person like a missile and intended to have a telling effect; "his parting shot was `drop dead'"; "she threw shafts of sarcasm"; "she takes a dig at me every chance she gets" [syn: shot, shaft, slam, dig, jibe, gibe]
2 the pointed part of barbed wire
3 a subsidiary point facing opposite from the main point that makes an arrowhead or spear hard to remove
4 one of the parallel filaments projecting from the main shaft of a feather
1 provide with barbs; "barbed wire"
2 provide with barbs; "barbed wire"
rfc-level check placement of Pronunciation
- Rhymes with: -ɑː(r)b
- The point that stands
backward in an arrow,
fishhook, etc., to
prevent it from being
Hence: Anything which stands out with a sharp point obliquely or crosswise to something else.
- Having two barbs or points. Ascham.
- A beard, or that which resembles it, or grows in the place of it.
- (Armor) (Corrupt) Armor for a horse, corrupted from bard.
- One of the side branches of a feather, which collectively constitute the vane.
- Several species of freshwater fish of the Cyprinid family.
- A southern name for the kingfishes of the eastern and southeastern coasts of the United States; -- also improperly called whiting.
- A hair or bristle ending in a double hook.
- A blackish or dun variety of the pigeon, originally brought from Barbary.
- A muffler, worn by nuns and mourners.
- Paps, or little projections, of the mucous membrane, which mark the opening of the submaxillary glands under the tongue in horses and cattle. The name is mostly applied when the barbs are inflamed and swollen. [Written also barbel and barble.]
- A bit for a horse.
A beard, or that which resembles it, or grows in the place of it
Armor for a horse
One of the side branches of a feather
Several species of freshwater fish of the Cyprinid family
A southern name for the kingfishes of the eastern and southeastern coasts of the United States
A hair or bristle ending in a double hook
A blackish or dun variety of the pigeon, originally brought from Barbary
A muffler, worn by nuns and mourners
Paps, or little projections, of the mucous membrane
A bit for a horse
- To furnish with
barbs, or with that which will hold or hurt like barbs, as an arrow,
fishhook, spear, etc.
- But rattling storm of arrows barbed with fire. Milton.
- (Armor) (Corrupt) To cover a horse in armor, corrupted from bard.
- To shave or dress the beard of.
- To clip; to mow.
Barb may refer to:
- A backward-facing point on a fish hook or similar implement, rendering extraction from the victim's flesh more difficult
- Barb (feather), the branches issuing from the rachis of feathers
- Barb (fish), several species of freshwater fish
- Barb (horse), a breed from North Africa
- Barb (pigeon), a breed of domestic pigeon
- BARB, the Broadcasters' Audience Research Board
- Barb, a shortened version of the name Barbara
- Barding or barb, a type of armor for horses
- Australian Kelpie or barb, a breed of dog
- Barbiturate are drugs that act as a depressant for the Central Nervous System
- USS Barb, the name of two submarines of the US Navy
Amytal, Amytal pill, Demerol, Dolophine, H, Luminal, Luminal pill, M, Mickey Finn, Nembutal, Nembutal pill, Seconal, Seconal pill, Tuinal, Tuinal pill, alcohol, amobarbital sodium, analgesic, anodyne, antenna, arrow, arrowhead, barbel, barbiturate, barbiturate pill, barbule, barrel, black stuff, blue, blue angel, blue devil, blue heaven, blue velvet, bobtailed arrow, bolt, bristle, calmative, cat whisker, chested arrow, chloral hydrate, cilium, cloth yard shaft, codeine, codeine cough syrup, dart, depressant, depressor, dolly, downer, feeler, filament, filamentule, flight, goofball, hard stuff, heroin, hop, horse, hypnotic, junk, knockout drops, laudanum, liquor, lotus, meperidine, methadone, morphia, morphine, narcotic, opiate, opium, pacifier, pain killer, paregoric, pen yan, phenobarbital, phenobarbital sodium, purple heart, quarrel, quietener, quill, rainbow, red, reed, scag, secobarbital sodium, sedative, setula, setule, shaft, shit, sleep-inducer, sleeper, sleeping draught, sleeping pill, smack, sodium thiopental, somnifacient, soother, soothing syrup, soporific, striga, stubble, tactile hair, tactile process, tar, tranquilizer, turps, vibrissa, volley, white stuff, yellow, yellow jacket